Employment Contract Lawyer
Specializing in employment contract reviews
We are Labour & Employment Lawyers who specialize in employment contract reviews for employees and independent contractors in Hamilton, Ontario, surrounding areas and beyond.
An employment contract is a common legal document and is one of the most important agreements you will have to sign. It spells out what you will be owed as an employee which is far more than just your wages.
Your employment contract will often include the basics like your rate of pay, benefits, and vacation entitlements. At the same time, it will also cover other important details like the obligations that you will carry on behalf of your employer.
If you would like to avoid unexpected surprises, consider having your employment contract reviewed by an employment lawyer.
At McMahon Molyneaux Henriquez, we specialize in reviewing employment contracts and help to ensure that you are not signing away any legal rights. In doing this, we help you secure the package and terms that are fair to you.
Employment Contract Reviews
When reviewing an employment agreement, our employment lawyers will assist you in the following ways:
- Assess and explain the impact of a new employment agreement on your current/new job
- Review the full contract and its specific terms to help set your expectations during the course of your employment
- Outline your termination entitlements in the event that you are ever dismissed under your employment contract
- Explain any unusual terms that may negatively impact your rights as an employee
- Review and discuss all the long lasting terms of your contact, even some that may outlast your term of employment, such as non-competition and non-solicitation clauses
- Explain whether the contract is a fair one and how it matches up with other agreements in the market
- Help you propose and negotiate meaningful and fair changes to the employment contract
- Track your employment contracts to evaluate your career growth
One of those most important elements of an employment contract review is the ability to compare your contract with others like it. Using our experience, our employment lawyers can help employees assess whether a contract is fair for the market and determine the changes that should be made.
We can help propose and negotiate terms that are more in line with a specific market or industry. This helps employees achieve fair results to avoid being left behind.
How long does it take to have an employment contract reviewed?
Employment contract reviews can be completed fairly quickly and often within a few days of your first call. If you feel pressure to sign an employment contract and worry you don’t have time to have it professionally reviewed, know that employers rarely use a “take it or leave it” approach when it comes to employment contracts.
In many cases, employers are looking for specific skills and talents. As a result, they are often open to changing an employment contract in ways that can significantly improve benefits for an employee. For this reason, an employment contract review is an important tool to ensure that you are getting the best possible outcome.
How much does it cost to have your employment contract reviewed?
Employment contract reviews are reasonably affordable and can generally be completed for a one time fee approximating the cost of a regular consult.
The first step is a consultation. During this meeting, we:
- review your employment contract;
- explain the employment law issues that are relevant to your contract and its specific terms;
- discuss your employment law options;
By the end of the consultation, you will understand your rights and obligations, as well as the strategies available for negotiating improved terms.
The next step is proposing the changes that will help you achieve the results you are looking for and help you achieve fairness as an employee.
Need your employment contract reviewed? Contact us
If you need your employment contract reviewed please get in touch with us today at 905-522-0600 or fill out this quick form.
We are committed to justice for workers and providing inclusive, accessible, and progressive legal services. We provide legal advice that is clear, trustworthy and focused on solutions. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
We are located in Hamilton and serve clients in Hamilton and surrounding areas in Southern Ontario.